Saturday, June 11, 2005
I was looking for it way before the camp.Excitement filled me as i venture for fun and extend my friendship circle.On the serious note,to share my experience as a leader.
There sat infront of me Group 3 consisiting of 8 strangers.Here i come looking excited and bubbly.But in return i get 8 gloomy and sleepy heads.I tried to lift up the mood with a joke and then i was presented with contrasting 8 smily faces.Was i delighted.Ice breaker broke the atmosphere and the group seem to be comfortable with each other well at least with me.
This camp is a really valuable experience for me that money cant buy.From time to time i was furious,stressed out,moody but others energetic,lively and enthusiastic.
First time i gave a talk to students.Come to think of it,it wasnt that bad and i was not nervous.Sorry to waste the time Amrit.Ya maybe i have to change my stly while speaking because i know how lame i can get but it was not reflected in any of my talk.Next time....
Poking fun at people is a bad thing to do.But i just can t help it.Mr Oh has become my new target since i came to work on this project.Hahahahaha......he is just so chubby..to me the 'Winnie The Poo'.
I made new friends too.Now i know Myles and lots of students form J1s.Wonder if i will get new friend request in my friendster.
So what i learned:
1)I cannot have a distinct barrier between a leader and the group,i have to involve myself and cant expect them to do everything.During games and discussion this was my mistake,i should have been more involve.
2)''Fail to plan,Plan to fail''.I thought i can handle them and keep them enthusiastic all the time but no,im too boring.I should have prepared some ghost strories,some games-for ice breaker and during discussion and some jokes to keep them occupied and interested.
I didnt initiate the planning for our 'Learning Journey' and we end up just going to two places at Yishun.How boring can it get?I regretted this decision and from now on plan first then go.
3)Learn to take note of very simple and trivial details.Like thinking of can openers,flag,what to do for PT,schedule for games,mugs and check the checklist.This simple details can cause lots of problems if actions are not taken accordingly.
4)Always do a dry run.The camp was planned to be a very fun and interesting one but because of lack of time we did not able to attain the maximum potential this camp can offer.The movie,the night crawler,games,learning journey can be classified as failures.Everything was cut short.
5)When you need to be firm,just be firm.That is the only way to get fullest attention if not then the might take advantage of you and the situation.
6)I still have lots to learn myself about leadership.Came to know that my skills are limited and that im not as good as i thought.Maybe they show sent me as a participater then a facilitator.
As a whole i had lots of fun with them and the group was very unpredictable.Thanks Jun Yi,Daryl,Ellena,Harris,Yi Fan,Farhana,Octy,Zai Rong and my co-faci Ce-Yi for making this a learning journey for me and a wonderful time spent together.Hope to see all of you more in school and have more chit chat.
Wassalam
----------------------
10:41 PM;